BusinessCow Sharing // News from Source www.cnet.com
If it wasn’t already clear Tesla has the US electric vehicle market locked down, the latest data from an Automotive News/Experian partnership released Sunday should underscore the notion. Of all the EVs registered in the US in 2020, made up 79% of them. That’s not a typo: seventy-nine percent. That leaves just 21% to carve up for the numerous other automakers and highlights an immense challenge for legacy automakers to unseat Tesla’s cache with EVs.
In total, Americans registered 200,691 Tesla cars in 2020 — a 16% increase from 2019, according to the data. The automaker’s four models currently on sale also each found a slot to fill out the top five EVs last year. The only non-Tesla is the, which was the third-placed EV on the list with 19,664 registered. The was No. 1 with 95,135 registered, followed by the with 71,344. That makes the Bolt EV a very, very distant third place.
In fourth sits the(19,652) and the comes in fifth (14,430). Behind the corral of Teslas and the lone Chevy are an assortment of EVs, including the , , , and Kia Niro, all with fewer than 10,000 registered.
For automakers increasingly shifting their priorities to go all-in on battery-powered cars, there’s good news, too. Even though auto salesamid the pandemic, EVs still managed to broaden their share of sales, even if it was by just 0.4%. Registrations for EVs increased by 11% in 2020 from 2019, though in the big auto sales picture, they made up 1.8% of all cars registered, up from 1.4% in 2019.
2020 Top 10 US EV Registrations
|Rank||Make||Model||Number of Registrations|
BusinessCow Sharing // “financial news from us” – Google News from Source www.cnet.com